Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Writing

The Low End Mac website recently ran an interview with Chicago Sun-Times tech writer Andy Ihnatko. Andy Ihnatko has been a staple in the Macintosh world for years, having written (or currently still writing) for publications and websites such as MacUser, MacWeek and MacWorld. He has a humorous writing style, and I've always enjoyed reading him.

In the interview he said starting in Junior High School, he has made it a point to write something everyday. And, he said all that practice has paid off. Many times he has trouble figuring out how to begin a piece, but once he figures out his opening, the rest of it just flows. I suppose that's not earth-shattering news. The more you practice anything, the better you become at it. If you want to be a good writer, you have to write a lot.

Perhaps that's obvious wisdom, but sometimes I have to be hit between the eyes to see the obvious and that did the trick. I tend to have a lot of ideas for blog posts, but actually getting the words down and saying what I want to say tends to be difficult. I find it takes more effort than I want to expend. So I thought I really ought to try to write something everyday. I can try it for a while and see if it does make a difference in the quality of my writing as well as make it easier to put my thoughts into words.

My blogging is pretty spread out these days. I have my original blog (inspired by my dealings with Ben Mack) here on Blogger.com. Then I have my "political" blog on GNN (also inspired by Ben). I have a MySpace page although the blog posts there are duplicates of things I've posted on my other blogs, and I have my newest blog which is connected to the Frequency23 community. It tends to focus on philosophical/psychological/spiritual and artistic matters as well as some politics. I do some crossposting on all the blogs if I like the post enough and think it's topical to more than one of my blogs.

Anyway, since this blog is my oldest one and has had the most eclectic subject matter, it's the one I'm going to try to keep up somewhat daily. We'll see how it goes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home