Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Hard Drive Crash

The startup drive on my main machine at home crashed about a month ago. Had a fairly recent backup and after a bit of jumping thru hoops, I got it back up and running with a minimum of lost files. Then...

It crashed again, about two and a half weeks later. Been down for about a week now and as I was trying to fix it, I noticed in OS X's Disk Utility, it had S.M.A.R.T. info about the drive. Unfortunately, the status for that was failing in red letters!

So, I need to get a new hard drive for the machine. It still has the original SCSI drive that came with the machine and that's what it's running on now, but that drive is only 8GB and has very little free space, so until I can get the failing drive replaced, I'm limited to what I can do with that machine. On the positive side, the iBook we bought back in November is sure coming in handy right now!

2 Comments:

Blogger Adrian said...

Well that sucks. Good luck man. It's always bad when it's a hardware problem.

2:04 PM  
Blogger RocketJam said...

At least had a pretty recent backup so I don't think I'm losing any files of any significance. The worst part is the machine is circa 1998 and I hate to put more money into it. I've been planning on getting a new machine this year, but I really didn't want to do it right now.

I'm still considering my options.

7:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home