Tuesday, August 16, 2005

The Slow Decline of Microsoft?

Or is that wishful thinking? ;-)

Microsoft's next OS "Vista" (known as Longhorn until a couple of weeks ago) has been delayed and delayed and has had previously announced features removed as the delays have piled up. Currently it's scheduled for release in the second half of 2006. Many industry pundits think that may be optimistic. They released a public "developer" beta and Wired News obtained a copy to put through its paces and review.

The review is not very encouraging for Microsoft. They cite attractive graphics (the screenshot in eWeek looks like an homage to Apple's Mac OS X with lots of transparency and drop shadows) and new search-engine functions, but they say there's not much else there to compel upgrading. Additionally, the system requirements are fairly demanding and the beta ran slowly on their setup (an Athlon 2800 with 1GB of RAM). They allowed that speed improvements will probably be a priority for beta 2.

From what I've seen in the IT trade mags I read, MS has yet to generate much enthusiasm for their "next-generation" operating system. Microsoft has made a lot of noise about being allowed to "innovate" since their anti-trust trial. I think they believe their own propaganda, that they really are an "innovative" company, but their current offerings and upcoming offerings seem to lack any real innovation.

Truth in Advertising Disclaimer: I am a Mac user. I'm very familiar with Windows and generally detest it. While I think I'm not one of those Mac fanatics who thinks Apple does no wrong and no one else does any right, generally, I'm drinking Apple's Kool-Aid. The Mac experience blows away anything on the Windows side, I think Microsoft has proven itself to be an extrememly unethical corporation, and I'm not geeky enough to go the Linux route.

2 Comments:

Blogger Adrian said...

I tried Linux and it was a little frustrating. I went back to Windows, but if I had the money, I'd probably invest in a Mac.

11:27 AM  
Blogger RocketJam said...

Mac mini-$499

You can find some nice used macs for a good price too. It's worth it.

Mac Of All Trades generally has some nice used systems at reasonable prices. Macs also hold their value much better than Windows boxes.

Re: Linux being frustrating. That's part of the reason I haven't yet considered it a real option. I may try playing with it one of these days on an old machine.

Thx for the comment!

4:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home