Wednesday, August 24, 2005

What's Wrong With This Picture?

A recent poll by Public Agenda finds that the more often Americans go to church, the more supportive they are of the war in Iraq. It found that frequent church-goers are far more likely to support the "War on Terror" and believe the U.S. is accomplishing its goals in Iraq.

The poll found that people who never attend church are much more likely to believe the war is damaging the country's international relations and that the war is costing too much money and too many lives.

This seems backward to me. I'd presume the poll is skewed that way because of the large number of fundamentalist Christians within the U.S. church-going population. I thought Jesus was the Prince of Peace. As Ben Mack has said "Who would Jesus bomb? Nobody. I don't remember him killing anybody in The Bible". Or did Howard Campbell say that? Doesn't really matter. The point is made.

I posit that the more you think for yourself, the more likely you are to believe the war has been/is an ongoing disaster. It follows from the poll results that generally, organized religions (among many other organizations) don't encourage people to think for themselves. They're much easier to control that way.

6 Comments:

Blogger molly said...

Dear RJay,
Disconcerting information...
i've found god without religion a good thought. also, one of my favorite bumperstickers is "god is too big for one religion". thanks for the idea of reading necromancer. i finished it a couple of days ago. namaste.

7:41 AM  
Blogger RocketJam said...

I was raised in a very religious family, so I've seen both sides of it. Religion is like many things man has made throughout his history. It can serve a productive purpose and it can be used for negative purposes.

I first posted this to my gnn blog before I posted it here. I received a thoughtful comment there where it was pointed out that Buddhism is an organized religion that encourages "thinking for one's self". So rather than generalize about organized religions, I should say many organized religions don't encourage people to think for themselves.

I think many (maybe most) people don't want to think for themselves. They are happy to let others do the thinking for them. IMHO, that's why we're in the big mess in Iraq right now. You've probably heard it, "Well I guess the president knows what he's doing. If he says we need to go over there then that's what we should do".

Yeah, I like that bumper sticker too. I'm glad you enjoyed Neuromancer. If you really liked it, the author ended up writing a loosely coupled trilogy w/Neuromancer being the first book in it. I say loosely coupled, because each book can stand by itself without reading the others.

Thx for reading. I've been trying to keep up with you on Quintessential Sophism too. I enjoy your thoughts.

1:07 PM  
Blogger molly said...

hi rjay,

thanks for your thoughts, too.
have you seen this?
http://sfgate.com/columnists/morford/
an article entitled "what's on your igod?" one of my brothers sent me the link a couple of days ago.

10:46 AM  
Blogger Adrian said...

It saddens me that religion has ruined spiritually for personal adgendas, greed, and politics.

3:31 PM  
Blogger RocketJam said...

darian: I think I've read Neuromancer like five times

You've got me beat. I think I've read it three times. Yes, Gibson can write. I've read all his novels.

Molly, I liked the iGod article at the SF Gate. Thanks.

adreeyin, I agree.

4:52 PM  
Blogger Jeff said...

I guess it depends on what kind of Church you go to, and the trend depends on what kinds of Churches are most POPULAR and MASSIVE. Thankfully, 'popular' doesn't carry much credibility with it as far as religion goes (at least not how I see it), and massive implies more powerful (over people) which almost always leads to corruption.

1:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home